Somehow, Spring break is different across the country, so that means it really lasts six weeks or so, no matter where you live or when you travel for your own holiday. There are certain destinations that just draw all the vacationers for Spring Break and make doing things more difficult, lines longer and rates much more expensive. If you want to save money – and absolutely need to get away for the Spring Break holiday – then these top ten destinations (compiled by CheapOair) should be off your list and planned for another time of year.
Book Your Spring Break Travel
Start looking for more nontraditional destinations for our trip if you want to evade the most crowds.
- Avoid Florida altogether and head north to Myrtle Beach, SC where great deals on beachfront condos can save you a ton and keep you close to the action.
- Want to go somewhere more exotic? Bermuda has some fantastic options for its shoulder-season (which falls before May).
- If you aren't too concerned about getting some sun and working on your tan, Vermont calls the budget-minded skiers with rock-bottom lift tickets and up to 30% off accommodations.
- Portland is neither covered in snow or bright and sunny this time of year. Our crowds show up mid-May and stay through the start of the school year, so now's the time to visit for affordable lodging and to spend your savings from that on the many local microbreweries and wineries. This is also a great time to get outside and do some outdoorsy activities like hiking, biking or bird watching. (Here are some other ideas for you.)
- While everyone else is flying south, why not pack a coat and visit Washington, DC. With so many free attractions – museums, national landmarks, etc. – you can fill a few days or a whole week really easily. Flights aren't crazy expensive like for other destinations, which means you'll really only need to worry about dining. Luckily, it's easy to find cheap eats around the city. (Here are just a few ways to fill your itinerary.)
- If you'd rather go somewhere warm and wear your summer clothes early, try a getaway to San Diego. You can enjoy the sun and everything they have to offer from the San Diego Zoo to Balboa Park with its 15 museums, play areas, hiking and biking trails, gardens and variety of restaurants and cafes. You don't have to go far to find things to entertain everyone in your travel party.
If you're planning a trip for Spring Break, I've got more tips coming, including how to pack your bag, so you only fly with a carry-on, and my next newsletter will be full of apps to keep the kids busy on the plane, in the car or while waiting to do something. If you aren't signed up for my twice-monthly newsletter full of extra tips and deals, sign up now so you aren't missing out:
Where will you be spending Spring Break? Not going anywhere, but still want to make the most of your time? Check out my Staycation Pinterest board.