Happy Friday! I’m a little excited to be jetting off to Vegas for three days next month. Sadly, I think my list of things I want to see and do exceeds the hours I will be there – unless I decide not to sleep! As much as I love that Vegas is a 24-hour place, attractions aren’t open all day and all night and I once got there and didn’t have a room until the next day, so stayed awake all night and into the late afternoon and it was not pretty. I went straight to my room and look a nice long nap! After a while, the tireds get you more than the excitement of the slots and lights.
When you’re too tired to think straight, that is not the time to be wandering the streets or areas where you could get taken advantage of. New travel scams seem to pop up every day. It’s impressive how inventive crooks can be, but it just proves you need to be just as smart to keep from getting swindled. Here are 10 new scams to look out for. (Don’t most waiters need to take your card out of sight to swipe it at their station? I’m guessing this is a tip for less metropolitan cities.)
Planet Hollywood- Las Vegas, NV USA by Michael Miloserdoff
Again, I’m using Groupon to save on my trip. So far I’ve got a 2-for-1 certificate for a lunch buffet at the Spice Market Buffet in Planet Hollywood which is going to save us over $30. The other thing I’ve done to get discounts and freebies is to start playing MyVEGAS games on Facebook. Earn points when you play that you can turn into free comps. I traded mine in for two tickets to the Circus Circus Adventuredome and a free dinner and show at Excalibur’s Tournament of Kings. Eric is now playing, too, to earn a second ticket to Tournament of Kings, while I’m working on enough points for a fancy buffet for two. Between the freebies available in town and the freebies we’re earning, our trip is going to be even more affordable, making it really easy to splurge on ziplining on Fremont Street, entry to the Mob Museum and picking out some fun souvenirs to bring home.
This photo of Portobello Road Market is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Sometimes the best things you find at a vacation destinations isn’t something found in a gift shop, but something that has history. Where can you find such things at reasonable prices? Flea markets! Here are 17 of the world’s most awesome flea markets according to AFAR Magazine.
This photo of Pyramids of Giza is courtesy of TripAdvisor
Has the Lost City of Atlantis been lost all these years because it’s located in the Bermuda Triangle? Some scientists think they have found the city off the coast of Cuba, including giant pyramids and sphinxes. It’s possible it just wasn’t ready to be found until now, or those that found it previously have mysteriously disappeared! This may or may not be the real thing, but either way it sure would be a fun diving adventure for those into such a thing.
|Plane On Runway by PHIL DOWNS|
While it may be too late to book anything for this long weekend, FareCompare has some money-saving tips for your next long weekend getaway. Learn when to book, when to shop, where to go and more.
And if you’re one of those last-minute packers and are going somewhere fun this weekend, here are some tips to pack light:
- Shoes: Wear a pair, pack a pair (and make sure they’re comfortable).
- Clothes: Mix and match. For three days, you can get away with two tops, a pair of pants (the ones you’re wearing on the plane can be reworn), a pair of shorts, a dress and a jacket.
- Toiletries: Three days is hardly long enough to use much of anything. This is the time to dig out those samples of shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, sunscreen and anything else you have lying around and toss it in your 3-1-1 bag to save major space. If you’re lucky, you can throw away the empty containers before you come home.
- Electronics: You’ll barely have time for much. Bring your phone and one multi-functional item, like your iPad mini. You can use it to check email, play games, listen to music, watch videos and update your blog. This also minimizes cords you need to pack, unless you have an iGo charger and only bring one in the first place, which is always a useful thing to have.
- For more tips, check out my post on YouQueen.